CITY COUNCIL AGENDA
February 1, 2011
CLOSED SESSION – 5:30 P.M.
WORKSHOP – 6:30 P.M.
REGULAR SESSION - 7:00 P.M.
ANDERSON CITY HALL
1887 Howard Street
PARTICIPATION BY PUBLIC IN MEETING
Please review the Agenda to determine if the subject you wish to discuss is scheduled for Council consideration. If it is on the Agenda, you will have an opportunity when that matter comes up for discussion to briefly address the Council.
If the subject is not on tonight’s Agenda, please complete an Agenda Request Form (on Clerk’s table) and present it to the City Council Clerk. You will have the opportunity to speak on the subject under Item 5.2. However, if the item is not on the Agenda, each speaker will be limited to one five (5) minute opportunity to speak, unless the City Council makes an exception due to special circumstances.
The Brown Act prohibits the Council from taking action on any item not placed on the printed Agenda in most cases.
Effective July 1, 2008, the Brown Act requires any non-confidential documents or writings distributed to a majority of the City Council less than 72 hours before a regular meeting will be made available to members of the public at the same time they are distributed.
City Council meetings are televised and can be seen live on Cable Public Access Channel 11 and on tape delay the following morning at 10:00 a.m.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Anderson will make available to members of the public any special assistance necessary to participate in this meeting. The public should contact the City Clerk’s office (378-6646) to make such a request. Notification 72 hours prior to the meeting will enable the City to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to this meeting.
This is an Equal Opportunity Program. Discrimination is prohibited by Federal Law. Complaints of discrimination may be filed with the Secretary of Agriculture, Washington, D.C. 20250.
CLOSED SESSION – 5:30 P.M.
1.0 ROLL CALL – COUNCIL: Councilmember Day
Councilmember Yarbrough Councilmember Hopkins
Vice-Mayor Hunt Mayor Comnick
Public Comment on Closed Session Item(s): Anyone in the audience who wants to address the City Council on a subject which is listed under the Closed Session agenda is now invited to come to the podium. Please provide your name and the subject you wish to discuss. Please limit your remarks to 5 minutes or less.
The City Council will convene to Closed Session.
C.S.1 CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR
(Pursuant to Govt. Code 54957.6)
Agency Negotiators: City Clerk Juanita Barnett and Liebert Cassidy Whitmore
Attorney Jack Hughes
- Management and Confidential Employees
- Teamsters Local 137
- Anderson Police Officers Association
The City Council will recess.
WORKSHOP – 6:30 p.m.
Interview Planning Commission applicants.
REGULAR SESSION – 7:00 p.m.
The City Council will reconvene.
- CLOSED SESSION ANNOUNCEMENT – Mayor Comnick will announce the outcome of the closed session.
2.0 INVOCATION – Pastor Tom Lucatorta, Heritage Baptist Church.
- PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE – Mayor Comnick.
4.0 PRESENTATION – None.
5.1 SCHEDULED CITIZEN REQUEST TO ADDRESS THE CITY COUNCIL – Denise D’Amico Johnson, Relay for Life in Anderson.
5.2 PUBLIC COMMENT ON ITEMS NOT ON THE AGENDA Anyone in the audience who wants to address the Council on a subject which is not on tonight’s agenda is now invited to come to the podium. Please provide your name and the subject you wish to discuss. Please limit your remarks to 5 minutes or less.
5.3 STUDENT REPORTS – None.
5.4 COUNCIL REPORTS - City Councilmembers will report on attendance at conferences/meetings reimbursed at City expense (Requirement of Assembly Bill 1234).
6.0 CONSENT AGENDA - Consent Agenda items are expected to be routine and non-controversial. They will be acted upon by the Council at one time without discussion. Any member of the public, staff or City Council may request that an item be removed from the Consent Agenda for separate discussion. Are there any requests to remove any items from the Consent Agenda?
- MINUTES - Approve the minutes of the regular meeting of January 18, 2011.
6.2 WARRANTS – Receive and file warrant 118464 to 118543 in the amount of $578,254.16; warrant 118544 to 118601 in the amount of $86,720.71; an ACH in the amount of $2,065.00; and a Wire Transfer in the amount of $83.38.
6.3 CITY ATTORNEY – None.
6.4 CITY CLERK - Waive reading, except by title, of any ordinances under consideration at this meeting for either introduction or passage per Government Code Section 36934.
6.5 CITY MANAGER – None.
6.6 FINANCE DIRECTOR/TREASURER – Receive and file the Quarterly Treasurer’s Report on City Investments for the fiscal quarter ended December 31, 2010.
6.7 PARKS AND RECREATION – None.
6.8 DEVELOPMENT SERVICES DEPARTMENT – None.
6.9 POLICE DEPARTMENT– None.
6.10 PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT – Adopt a resolution establishing a temporary “No Parking” zone along the south side of Briggs Street between West Center and Church Street, and along the south side of First Street between Church Street and Fairgrounds Drive, during the Nor-Cal Boat, Sport, and RV Show February 28 through March 7th, 2011.
END OF CONSENT CALENDAR
6.11 ITEMS (IF ANY) REMOVED FROM THE CONSENT CALENDAR
Any person may speak on items scheduled for hearing at the time the Mayor declares the hearing open. ALL LEGAL NOTICES HAVE BEEN GIVEN ACCORDING TO LAW.
7.0 PUBLIC HEARING – ADOPTION OF UPDATED CALIFORNIA BUILDING STANDARDS CODES
- Introduce (first reading) an ordinance revising Anderson Municipal Code Chapter 15 and adopting by reference the 2010 Edition of the California Building Standards Code, and set for enactment (second reading) on February 15, 2011.
- Adopt a resolution maintaining the current building permit and plan check fee tables from the 2001 California Building Standards Code, and increasing selected hourly-based rates.
8.0 CITY COUNCIL – None.
8.1 CITY ATTORNEY – None.
8.2 CITY MANAGER – None.
8.3 CITY CLERK
PLANNING COMMISSIONER APPOINTMENT
- Review the results of the Planning Commission interview process and, on the recommendation of either Councilmember John Day or Councilmember Debe Hopkins, appoint Christine Haggard to serve on the Planning Commission for a term concurrent with the recommending Councilmember’s term of office (December 2, 2014).
- Discuss any changes the Council would like to see regarding the Planning Commission.
- Direct staff to advertise for a Planning Commissioner for another 30 days and schedule an interview workshop for March 15, 2011, prior to the regularly scheduled Council meeting.
8.4 FINANCE DEPARTMENT
Adopt a resolution amending the City’s Adopted 2010-2011 Budget.
Receive and file the annual report.
8.5 PARKS AND RECREATION DEPARTMENT – None.
8.6 DEVELOPMENT SERVICES DEPARTMENT – None.
8.7 POLICE DEPARTMENT – None.
8.8 PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT
8.8a Authorization to bid the automatic meter reading (AMR) meter replacement phase II project
Adopt a resolution:
- Approving the Plans, Specifications, Estimates and Contract Documents prepared by Pace Engineering of Redding, California for the Automatic Meter Reading (AMR) Meter Replacement Phase II Project, and
- Instructing the Public Works Director to advertise for bids, and
- Authorizing the opening of bids at 11:00 a.m. on Friday, March 4, 2011, in the City Council Chambers at City Hall.
Adopt a resolution declaring April 11th through April 16th, 2011, as April Clean- up Week.
- STAFF REPORTS
9.0a Jeff Kiser, Assistant City Manager, Factory Outlets Entrance.
9.0b Dana Shigley, City Manager, Shasta County Courthouse project update.
10.0 ADJOURN - The City Council will adjourn to February 15, 2011.