Doing Business in Anderson

Business Services Overview
Welcome to Anderson! Anderson is a growing community conveniently located I-5. With vibrant businesses that offer a variety goods and services to almost 10,000 residents and trade area of 150,000,  Anderson is the perfect location to establish your own unique business. 

The City of Anderson is dedicated to helping you start, and grow, your business in our community. We will work closely with you to streamline the licensing and permitting processes, answer your questions and help your business thrive. 

Business Licenses
All businesses engaging in transactions within Anderson's city limits are required to have a current business license. This includes businesses from a home-based office. Business licenses are renewed on January 1st of each year.

Please be advised that in addition to payment of the fee, you must also comply with all other provisions of the Anderson Municipal Code, including but not limited to, building, parking, zoning and fire safety requirements.

It is suggested that you check with the City of Anderson's Building Department to verify Compliance with the Building and Land Use Codes. 1887 Howard Street, 2nd Floor, Anderson, CA. For general information call 530-378-6636

For information on Frequently Asked Questions, please scroll to the bottom of this page.

Business License City of Anderson (530) 378-6626
Zoning City of Anderson (530) 378-6636
Building Codes City of Anderson (530) 378-6636
Sales Tax Permits State Board of Equalization (530) 224-4729
State Employers ID Numbers Employment Development Department (530) 529-7110
Federal Employers ID Numbers Internal Revenue Service (800) 829-4933
Fictitious Business Name Shasta County Clerk (530) 225-5730
Health Permits Shasta County Health Department (530) 225-5787
Contractor's License State Contractor's Board (800) 321-2752


What is Considered a Business?
According to Section 5.04 of the Anderson Municipal Code a business is defined as including "Professions, trades, and occupations and all and every kind of calling whether or not carried on for profit."

New Businesses:
Prior to operating a business within the City of Anderson, all new business owners must complete a Business License Application. The application along with appropriate payment can be returned to the City of Anderson's Finance Department at 887 Howard Street, Anderson, CA 96007. For questions regarding the Business License Application, please contact the Finance Department at (530) 378-6626.

Home-Based Businesses:
Any home-based business operating within the City limits is required to have a current Business License as well as an Occupancy Permit to ensure Compliance with the standards set forth in City of the Anderson Municipal Code.

Do you need a Taxpayer Identification Number?
Any business operating as a Corporation or a Partnership is required by the Internal Revenue Service to obtain a Taxpayer Identification Number. A business operating as a Sole Proprietor must report the business owner's Social Security Number on the application in lieu of a Taxpayer Identification Number. To obtain more information regarding Taxpayer Identification Numbers, please visit the local IRS office at 1935 Ridgewood Drive, Chico.

Do you need a Seller's Permit?
According to the State Board of Equalization, you must obtain a seller's permit if you are engaged in business in California and sell or lease merchandise, vehicles, or other tangible personal property that is subject to sales or use tax. Making taxable sales without a valid permit is a misdemeanor under California's Sales and Use Tax Law and is subject to fines and penalties.

To apply for a Seller's Permit you must contact the State Board of Equalization at (800) 400-7115 to request an Express Registration package.

Fictitious Name Statements:
If you are working under a fictitious name, you Must file a Fictitious Name Statement with Shasta County Clerk/Recorder (530) 225-5730.

Additional Information:
To receive additional information regarding a City business license, please contact us at (530) 378-6626. Permits may also be required from the Departments and Agencies listed above.